1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed & crumbled
1 lb ground beef
1 large onions, chopped
1 green bell peppers, seeded, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 -6 jalapenos, seeds removed & chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 (28 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes, with juice
1 (15 ounce) cans undrained kidney beans
1 (15 ounce) cans undrained great northern beans
1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Add sausage and beef to oil. Cook until browned, about 8 minutes.
3. Stir in onion, bell pepper, garlic, jalapenos, chili powder, cumin seeds and salt. Cook, stirring often, until onion softens, about 4 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, beans, broth, tomato paste, cilantro and parsley; stir to combine. Heat to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, until flavors have blended, 2 1/2-3 hours.
5. Taste and adjust seasonings.
6. Serve with toppings on the side if desired.