3/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup low sodium gluten-free soy sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
12 large sea scallops, halved
12 slices smoked bacon, halved
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1. Stir together maple syrup, soy sauce, and Dijon mustard in a bowl until smooth. Add the scallops, and toss to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and marinate at least one hour.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with a sheet of aluminum foil.
3. Arrange bacon pieces on baking sheet so they do not overlap. Bake in preheated oven until some of the grease has rendered out of the bacon; the bacon should still be very soft and pliable, about 8 minutes.
4. Remove bacon from the baking sheet and pat with paper towels to remove excess grease. Drain or wipe grease from the baking sheet.
5. Wrap each scallop piece with a piece of bacon, and secure with a toothpick. Place onto baking sheet. Sprinkle the scallops with brown sugar.
6. Bake in preheated oven until the scallops are opaque and the bacon is crisp, 10 to 15 minutes, turning once.