1 cup quinoa
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup minced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 tsp chili powder (mild)
Pinch of cayenne pepper (spicy)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 cup shredded lettuce
OPTIONAL TOPPING INGREDIENTS
Grated cheddar or jack cheese
Sour cream or Greek yogurt
Pico de gallo or salsa
Diced seeded tomatoes
Hot sauce or sriracha
1. Cook the quinoa according to the package directions.
2. While quinoa is cooking, heat 1 tbsp of oil in another saucepan over medium heat. Pour minced onion into the saucepan and saute for a few minutes till it softens and begins to turn brown. Add the minced garlic to the pot and let it saute for 1-2 minutes longer till aromatic.
3. Add the black beans to the pot of onions along with 1/2 cup water, 2 tbsp of chopped fresh cilantro, chili powder and cayenne pepper. Bring the beans to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Let the beans simmer for 15 minutes till the liquid is mostly evaporated. Stir in 2 tbsp of fresh lime juice. Season with salt to taste.
4. When the quinoa is fully cooked, remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Use the fork to mix in 2 tbsp of chopped cilantro and 2 tbsp fresh lime juice. Season with salt to taste.
5. Assemble your burrito bowls. Divide the cilantro lime quinoa between four bowls.
6. Top each portion of quinoa with 1/4 cup of shredded lettuce.
7. Top each portion of lettuce with simmered black beans.
8. Top the black beans with your choice of Optional Topping Ingredients.
9. Serve warm.