1 butternut squash
extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, or sage, (optional)
honey or maple syrup, for drizzling (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Slice the stem off of the top of the squash and remove the bottom. With a strong vegetable peeler, remove and discard the squash’s skin.
3. Cut the squash in half down the middle. Remove and discard the seeds.
4. Slice the flesh into 1/4-inch dice and place on a baking sheet lined with foil.
5. Liberally drizzle with olive oil and season with salt. If desired, sprinkle with the herbs and drizzle with the honey or syrup. Toss to combine.
6. Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes (tossing once to rotate) until the squash is tender.