4 Tbsp (1/4 cup) sesame oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated (optional but nice)
¼ cup gluten-free soy sauce
¼ cup packed brown sugar (press it into the cup)
1 tsp ground black pepper
¼ cup hot water
2 lb flank steak
flour tortillas & corn tortillas
1 small Purple Cabbage
⅓ bunch cilantro leaves
1 avocado, sliced
⅓ cup sour cream
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Sriracha hot sauce
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice (plus lime wedges to serve if desired)
1. Thinly slice beef against the grain and place in medium bowl.
2. Stir together all marinade ingredients until sugar dissolves, pour over sliced meat and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight for best results. Tip: Let beef stay at room temp 30 min before cooking. Chilled meat will cool a hot pan and make your meat juice out.
3. Heat a large, heavy non-stick pan on high heat (no need to add extra oil). It’s hot enough when a piece of meat placed in the center has a strong sizzle. Add meat and sauté without stirring for 2-3 min or until lightly browned then stir and continue cooking additional 3-5 min, stirring occasionally or until fully cooked, liquid has evaporated and the sauce has caramelized on the beef.
4. Toast tortillas on a hot dry skillet or directly on the grates of your gas stove-top, turning frequently – they cook really fast so don’t walk away.
5. Stir together all taco sauce ingredients. For easier drizzling, transfer to a ziploc bag and snip off the corner.
6. To assemble tacos, place meat over toasted tortillas and cover with generous amount of purple cabbage. Add sprigs of cilantro, diced avocado and drizzle generously with taco sauce. If desired, add a squeeze of fresh lime juice for extra freshness.